Friday, March 09, 2007

Ubuntu 6.1 Edgy - Japanese Input Fixed!

Well, I've been enjoying and testing my new Ubuntu system (on my rather old Sotec laptop) for about five days now, and as I stated in my earlier post, the verdict is Excellent. I love the clean Ubuntu desktop and overall smooth-running system.

And - after some (a lot of!) trial and error, I now have my Japanese input working great . I tried different tutorials, encountered problems similar to mine but with no solution - but I finally found this tutorial (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Japanese_input_and_font_setup), followed it and now my Japanese input works perfectly (I am blogging this on my Ubuntu PC - よかった!).

Here's a screen shot of my Ubuntu desktop (the little square in the bottom right-hand corner is my SCIM language bar):

1 comment:

bernicky said...

Yep Ubuntu is easily the best consumer desktop among the readily available distributions - though Linspire is a worthy competitor that has more of a Windows look and feel for those who prefer that. Be sure to check out the Linspire CNR warehouse it now supports other distributions than Linspire so a lot of packages you would normally have to use package manager for are available as click and install.