Friday, August 07, 2009

O-Bon Summer Holidays!

Finally, I can say TGIF and breathe a sigh of relief  - well, in about three more hours, anyway.

Our week-long summer vacation begins at 5 p.m. today, and I have to say that I am totally looking forward to it. We don't have any set plans really, but I did reserve a minshuku (small Japanese inn) in Usami (Izu Peninsula) for tomorrow night.

Last Sunday I bought a set of used saddle-bags on the auction. They are really nice Degners (a popular brand here), and  they arrived two days ago, so I'm going to try to get them on the motorbike tonight so we can head out early tomorrow morning for Izu.

I'm looking forward to the ride - I really haven't had enough practice time on the bike, and haven't even been on the bike in a couple of weeks, in fact. Tomorrow, we're taking the longer, more scenic (and lessed trafficked!) mountain roads. If memory serves, we may only have about five stop-lights the entire way, and even get to open the throttle a little on the Izu Skyline!

Here's a map of our planned route:

I've mapped our intended route below:


View To Usami beach via the mountains in a larger map

2 comments:

bernicky said...

Have fun, ride safe and unwind. Life is always good it's just that much better when you are on vacation.

bernicky said...

Are you both ok? Did the earthquake screw up your vacation?