Thursday, May 05, 2011

Tiger Beetle (ハンミョウ 斑猫)

It is possible to take great photographs with any camera, but it's definitely easier with better equipment! I haven't been carrying my DSLR around like I used to, especially since switching to a motorbike (no windows to roll up if it rains, etc.). While the iPhone camera isn't primitive, it puts the challenge back into snapping even acceptable images, and I have yet to capture anything 'great' with it.

On a recent outing, I stopped for a quick dip at a mountain stream 'swimming hole', and found a tiger beetle that must live nearby. It would sit still long enough for me to consider taking a picture, but would run away if I got too close for too long, and then return as soon as I looked away. It also wouldn't let me look it in the face, always turning away... I really wanted to see its sabre teeth!

I finally got one picture that was acceptably focused and exposed:








I found out later that these can live for three years, eat ants and other insects, and 'can bite if mishandled'. The full Latin name is Cicindela chinensis japonica.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

That's an amazing photo - I can't believe it is from a phone!

Sheela said...

That is a really cool photo.

Lyn said...

We have those beetles in Tennessee, too ... slightly different variety.

Great photo!

Brian said...

Thanks everyone!

This was a lucky shot as most of my attempts were not in focus; then cropped and adjusted with Photoshop, too...

This season will bring more interesting bugs for sure!