Friday, June 02, 2006

Body Art - or, Tattoos




My first tattoo, for which I will always have a special fondness:


Though bernicky wasn't too far off, kurisu comes through in this guessing game. Living here for so many years, I suppose he had the advantage:-) In Japan, even now, tattoos carry a stigma - they are associated with the yakuza (Japanese Mafia), and the low-life of society. When (as likely happened) someone who'd seen me in the bath/locker room of the prestigious new gym that they were paying for, they were offended/disgusted by my tattoos and complained. It seems that, in the very, very fine print, in kanji, on the back page of pamphlet number four, there was listed a "No Tattoos" rule. And so I was unceremoniously cast out.

On the upside, no one complained about my navel ring!

And kurisu wins...a free tattoo of his choice at Tattouage Artistic in Montreal, the very place that did this fine work a decade and a half ago!

1 comment:

bernicky said...

I'm sorry - I had to laugh when I read that. My god they would be so offended if they travelled in Canada these days - tats are bigger than ever. No one even makes the pretense of hiding them anymore.

BTW - you sure look like your keeping in shape despite being cast out of the gym. Guess you will just have to find some yakuza (sp?) to train with.