Friday, July 14, 2006

Pizza La!

Pizza in Japan is like no pizza I have eaten before. I may be a bit of a knuckle-dragger when it comes to pizza - in Montreal, an all-dressed pizza simply means a pizza with all the favourites: tomato sauce, pepperoni, green peppers, mushrooms and cheese. That's it - nothing funny about that, just a good, old-fashioned pizza.

Such pizza is hard to find here, so I've adapted my palate. One of the big pizza chains is Pizza-La, and coming from a nice simple pizza city, some of the pizzas on the menu are less than enticing! Let me give you an idea of what the preffered pizzas are: the Ebi-Mayo, a shrimp and mayonnaise pizza; the Kani-Jaga, a crab and potato pizza, and then there is the Staff's pizza ("a favourite among kids", proclaims the menu) which has yummy tuna, corn and, of course, mayonnaise. Click here to see a detailed Pizza La menu in English!

I know that not all pizza is the same, yet I just can't imagine corn on a pizza, let alone mayonnaise...However, we have found our favourites in the Pizza La menu. We frequently order the Pizza La Light, the Spicy Italiana, and the (now discontinued) Bazzy.

And so as I write, we await our next pizza...

3 comments:

Team Sharma said...

In Italy you can get corn on your pizza too. It's not one of my favorite things but it sounds better to me than tuna or mayo.

-lyn said...

Um, yummy! I remember when pizza was the closest thing we had to "comfort food" when we first moved to Japan. The corn on it was quite a jolt. I don't remember any of them having mayo tho; I'm with Karin -- that sounds the worst. Well, the shrimp is a little odd, too. We loved the menu!!

Tracy said...

I'm glad to know that corn IS sort of normal on pizza!

For me, the worst is the octopus...