Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Ruby!

Although this blog was conceived in large part to share our love of biking in Japan, I have sadly not been able to keep up my end of the legwork. Our original posts celebrated the arrival of my at that time new bike, my Rig.

While my enthusiasm remains unchanged, the simultaneous overexertion / cold weather / numerically smaller gear ratio pushing really took the fun out of using my knee. After now eight weeks of stretching but otherwise complete couch-potato-ing, the pain is 95% gone; I'm ready to exercise again, but I'll follow the free advise from the 'net and ease back into riding.

Back in September I contacted a custom bicycle frame builder in the USA about making an SS 29'er (a non-geared mountain bike with bigger than usual wheels, at 29") for my proportions. The deal was struck, and I have kept up with the assembly by e-mail and occasional photo of the progress.

Things happened fast at the end, and with express postal service, the finished product arrived here on Sunday morning, at 9am. Whew!


















With a few hours of sunshine (9 to noon) available, I sloshed a blend of linseed oil and mineral spirits through all the tubes, and let it drain and dry. This should minimize chances of internal corrosion down the road. It was messy / stinky, but better safe than sorry. By the way, the Framebuilder's company name is 'Clockwork'.


























The internal preservative coating mostly cured, I couldn't wait to begin assembly. Tracy had given me a special tool for installing headsets (to end my days of using patience and a hammer), and it helped me press in the black Chris King headset that had been waiting for this day. (I snapped this pic before coating the skirts with anti-sieze...)



















No test ride yet (rain, work, etc.) but I might give it a try tomorrow morning, weather permitting. Here is the completed package, ready to go!















These pics are actually pretty crummy, due to my camera's unfortunate performance in low light (and the unfortunate low light). I'll capture better images when the sun shines, and the bike is on the trails!

2 comments:

RJ said...

Brian:

Great looking bike! What is the gearing? I still have a full set of gears on my Litespeed Obed (XT). I have the Obed down to 22lbs. But, my knees just can't do it, maybe because I switch back and forth from road to MTBing.
I have a compact crank (FSA K-Force) on the road bike which really works well on the hills. That bike is a Merlin Magia 15lbs on the nose.
It is still to cold for me in Jersey to ride so; I have just been training inside for the most. Doing more upper body stuff to help on century rides. Cheryl is doing some training but, I don’t think enough. But, for some reason she always makes the distance regardless how far.
Well, I hope you get riding sooner then later.

RJ

Anonymous said...

Glad your knee is so much better; and, oh, yes, the bike is a beauty!

Mom