Friday, December 09, 2005

Deer Sighting and My Singlespeed

My first thought this morning as I headed out on my Rig in the pre-dawn light was, "Damn, it's cold!". Frost covered the fields and crunched under my tires as I made my way up into the mountains of little Susono city; and as I climbed steadily higher, I began to feel warm. Whether the warmth was the result of my exertion, or of the hedonistic joy of being - simply being - alone, in the semi-darkness, on a frozen morning, I won't say. But I felt warm. Brian, sleeping still, peaceful and beautiful, may have felt the same warmth.

I established a rhythm - breathe in, push down, breathe out, push down - pedalling up the hill to my final destination

Finally - there it was. The Incinerator, the end of the road (quite literally - this little mountain round was blazed strictly for access to the local dump!). The Incinerator is up in the hills, isolated, along on non-trafficked route; frankly, the perfect morning ride. And there, at the top of the hill, in the field that skirts the wood that surrounds The Incinerator, were two lovely deer. They didn't bolt - just watched warily as I tucked in my shirt, perhaps they noted my regret at not having brought my camera - and then we were off; I headed back down the hill, and they back to their woods.

I have to say - I fully credit the stealth of my Singlespeed (no derailleur thumps, no chain slap) for the pleasure of having been able to see the deer, and share a minute or two with them, at The Incinerator.

2 comments:

bernicky said...

Sounds like a perfect ride.

Doc Shazam said...

Wow. I'm going to convert my bridgestone into a singlespeed once I get my Trek Pilot.