Thursday, August 31, 2006

A Day Without TV...

Last Friday we had some powerful thunder and lightening here. As soon as I could, I unplugged our pcs, modem, phone, etc. We thought all was well, but discovered when we got home from work that we were off-line.

We receive our English tv stations (Discovery, Fox, CNN etc.)via our modem with our Internet Service Provider. Being offline meant that we had no internet connection, and no English tv - two luxuries we'd become accustomed to.

We spent most of the weekend at the beach, and when we came home on Sunday, I called Yahoo BB (our provider). Most conveniently, they had technicians on the help line even on a Sunday afternoon (Japanese only of course); after he did stuff on his end, while I watched the modem on my end, it was determined that our modem was no longer functioning and Yahoo would send us a new one.

Well - just as we were making arrangements for delivery of a new modem, the modem's "link" light came on. This meant I was once again connected! We got on line, the TV was working!

I thanked the technician for his help, and promptly began watching TV!

But it was nice to have a few hours of disconnection to remind us that we didn't always have such luxuries here.

1 comment:

Team Sharma said...

We suffered such an occurance all day Tuesday. I'm at work and the kids are at school but my in-laws were without TV, internet and phone service all of which we get from our internet provider. It took six hours to be restored but they survived. I didn't realize until the next morning (after I was at work) that the phones hadn't reset at the same time. Luckily I was able to forward the phone to their cell phone until I could come home and reset the router.