Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Snakebite...

While recently celebrating the virtual cornucopia of snakes encountered on a recent ride, I became a little over-exuberant in my attempt to catch one (for the purposes of scientific research, and maybe some macro photography). As noted in Tracy's previous post below, the outcome was to be different:

1) The snake in question remained unphotographed, as Tracy (working the camera, and possibly shaken by my being struck, twice) failed to get a shot off.

2) Its coloration and pattern definitely matched any of the three varieties recently encountered in that area, but, sadly, the species remains unconfirmed (see 1 above).

Scientifically, I hoped to study its girth, length, anatomy, locomotion, etc.:

1) Observed behavior included a strong 'flight' action initially, quickly becoming an unmistakeable 'fight' reaction (as it turned and struck so quickly).

2) Its jaws seemed to open fully to 180 degrees during the bites, possibly to better engage its rear fangs. Its body was long, thick and scaly; inside its mouth was cottony white.

3) It fled like a little girl when I let it go.

Luckily, during the entire encounter I kept my composure. The first strike missed (due to my mongoose-like reflexes) but the second did catch my hand (as the cycling gloves reduced my dexterity). That bite left a broken tooth in my skin, but it didn't penetrate far or involve any noticable venom. Here is the result after shedding the glove:


















I have of course learned my lesson and will be presenting in future posts the more gentle fauna of Japan.

1 comment:

bernicky said...

Do you actually record these scientific observations on another blog or somewhere? Just curious. I'm glad to see that everything worked out ok in the end though.