Monday, July 30, 2007

Doyo no Ushi no Hi (a.k.a. Eel Day)

Today, July 30th, is National Eel Eating Day. In Japanese, the real word is "Doyo no Ushi no Hi" - for which there is a very long translation, but which I will shorten to say simply, "the hottest day of the year".

Eel is considered healthy and delicious, and it is regularly eaten any time of the year. However, since eel gives you stamina, in these hot days of summer when relief from the relentless heat and humidity is nowhere to be found and everyone is suffering from natsubate (summer lethargy) it makes sense that there would be a day designated especially to eating some eel.

On doyo no ushi no hi, supermarkets place advertisement flags around the shop and prominently display their various eels and eel dishes. Tonight after work when I went by the supermarket I noticed the display, and even a salesman with some freshly grilled eel for sale. The stamina promised by the adverts, added to the fact that I really didn't feel like cooking, led me to pick up an unagi-don bento to take home for our dinner tonight (unagi=eel; don=on rice; bento =packaged "lunch" box).

I'm feeling much better and have more stamina now

Here are some pics of our bento:



2 comments:

-lyn said...

Um, yummy!

bernicky said...

Hmm.
I'm glad I'm here were today was national chocolate ice cream day - well at least in my house it was :)