Thursday, December 13, 2007

Password Protect Firefox

I love my Firefox 2.0 and now I'm anxiously awaiting version 3.0. I only occasionally use Internet Explorer 7 - which is better than version 6, and has better CSS compatibility – but still not as good as Firefox.

I also use Firefox Portable on my little USB drive. This is very useful – but I haven't password protected or encrypted my portable drive. Hence, if I were to lose it or leave it laying around carelessly, then prying eyes could surf my bookmarks and even pages where my login info was saved. Luckily, I've found a little Firefox extension that lets you add a password to your profile, which basically means nobody can launch Firefox without having that password. It's down-loadable here:

http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/index-en.html

Now, actually, this extension is not really heavy-duty, and there are plenty of warnings that people can still hack into your browser settings. Since I'm not really worried about hackers, though, this is just right for me.

Another toy I've incorporated onto my USB drive is TrueCrypt, which allows you to create protected and hidden volumes in which you can store sensitive data.

Two simple, portable workarounds for protecting your portable drives.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are officially an ubergeek! Congratulations on your new status :)

bernicky

Anonymous said...

I downloaded this extension but my computer did not know what program to open the file with! Any suggestions?

Tracy said...

Hi - good question!

How to install:

right click the link and choose, "Save link as". Save to your desktop (or wherever).

Double-click your newly saved item. When Windows prompts you to open with a program, choose "Open with program from list", then select Firefox.

Firefox recognizes .xpi files as add-ons/extensions, and should prompt you to confirm that you'd like to install.

Alternatively, once you save the file, in FF, go to File, Open File, then navigate to where you saved the password addon.
Post back how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tracy! That worked perfectly! Thank you so much!!!!!!