Sunday, March 09, 2008

Atami Yurakusu Marathon - 5km

Two years ago, I ran in my first-ever organized race event - the Atami Yurakusu Marathon. I ran 5km that time, at 32 minutes, 47 seconds (I blogged about it at the time - here). It is a great "first race" - the view is spectacular and the terrain flat (there are not many runs or rides or anything in Japan that do not involve steep climbs!).

This year, I ran that same race again. Truthfully, I'd intended to sign up for the 12k, but got careless with the online form and clicked the "sign up" button for the 5 by mistake. But 5km was good for me, and I got to run with a friend for whom this was also a first race. We ran together and came in at 34 minutes and 27 seconds. Not too shabby, really.



Four other friends ran this race, but in the 12km so I was able to get a few photos of them. In this one, they are at the start line, getting ready for take-off:


Pav, the woman on far right, came in at 58 minutes and something; Joe, doing the 'thumbs up' next to Pav came in at 1 hour and 1 second (a brutal victory perhaps!).


I also took pics of people I didn't know:


Gotta love some of the "sports" wear!


It was, all in all, a really good Sunday!

1 comment:

bernicky said...

Congrats on the run. Local running events are usually pretty cool no matter where you go. The mixture of fun runners, people shooting for personal bests and the competitors looking to win, place or show is probably similar everywhere.