Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Race Day in Atami

OK. Well, Bernicky remembered that last weekend was my big, first race. I ran a short 5 km in the Atami Yurakusu Marathon, and I crossed the finish line. Ok - so I came in behind the 90 year old fitness freak...! It was a lot of fun - the rain held off (thought the wind didn't!), and Brian came with me for moral support - a good first race. And I've already signed up for a tougher, uphill 10 KM race in May.

Here I am, in the crowd of 5km runners, getting ready for the start:




Here I am walking with the crowd to the start line:


The great Pacific Ocean - the race went along the coast, along the road you can see that runs beside the sea:




Here is my certificate- 32 minutes and 47 seconds!

3 comments:

bernicky said...

Woohoo, congratulations on your first race! 6:33 per K ia a good first race. Now you can start a bib collection. A little advice on your 10K only stretch your training runs by a total of an extra 10% per week until you build to the distance. Jumping from 5 to 10 is a good way to get injured. Nothing in running is fast except the injuries.

-lyn said...

Bonzai!

I swear, I was just going to ask you today how the training was going.

Oh, re: the bib collection. I'm sure you don't have a lot of room to store those kinds of things, but if you'll send it (them!) to your Mom or to me, we will be happy to keep it(them) for you!!

Team Sharma said...

It looks like it was a beautiful day to run along the sea.