Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Clockwork Bikes – First Contact

Several years ago, Brian and, then, I fell in love with single speeding. The simplicity of the bike - both aesthetically and in practicality - more than compensated for not having gears. I first converted my black Cannondale to a single-speed, and several months of riding proved that I liked it. Brian bought a Gary Fisher Rig in February, 2005 and I bought mine only six months later. The Rig is a 29er single-speed, so it fits into a double niche. Brian upgraded to a custom frame in early 2007, and now I've had my Gary Fisher Rig for two and a half years, and since the purchase I have sold all my other bicycles and have been solely riding the Single-Speed 29er. I like the big wheels and I have not missed having gears at all. But while I love the Rig, even the small frame is just a little too big for me and, I figured, now is the time to further follow in Brian's footsteps and get myself a custom frame.

Brian hired Joel Greenblatt at Clockwork Bikes to do his custom single-speed 29er. Joel did a great job designing the frame, and kept in contact with Brian throughout the design process, and Brian's been loving the bike ever since. So, when I finally decided that I, too, wanted custom, I didn't consider anyone other than Clockwork Bikes. I made first contact with Joel on the weekend, and we are getting ready to design a frame just for me. I should be riding the Susono trails by August!

Brian riding his custom Clockwork bike:

No comments: