Monday, January 12, 2009

I Love the Japanese Onsen

I've mentioned onsen a few times, I'm sure. An onsen is basically a hot spring/ spa where people go to shower and soak in natural hot spring baths (no bathing suits of course - that would be awful). Some onsen are simple, local places with only a few amenities, but others are full-on spas that provide lounge-wear or yukata to wear when not bathing, have restaurants, massage chairs, relaxation rooms, etc...

We have one such onsen close to us called Kirakubo (気楽坊), which is on the grounds of the Gotemba Kogen. On Saturday, a friend and I went to spend the day there, and I have to say this is one of the most relaxing ways to spend a day, especially after a week of work. We went in at about one p.m. and left at nearly seven p.m. - however, we could have stayed longer! We spent the day enjoying multiple deep, hot baths at the rotenburo (outdoor bath), a salty bath, a tea bath and a jacuzzi bath; we also got a real massage - I opted for the foot massage which was perfectly wonderful while Van had the body massage; I then spent some time taking a nap in a big LZ-Boy type chair while watching Japanese TV; and of course we had lunch, a snack and a few beers at the restaurant, all without ever leaving the building. All in all, a great day.

This is me and Van, enjoying a late afternoon beer at the restaurant in Kirakubo. Notice we're in our onsen-provided lounge wear.

2 comments:

Team Sharma said...

very nearly heaven!

-lyn said...

Mmmmm!