Saturday, January 17, 2009

Slum Dog Millionaire is a great movie!

As part of our very relaxing Friday evening, we watched a movie I'd only just heard about by word-of-mouth called Slumdog Millionaire.

I read a bit about it on the International Movie Data Base (IMDB), and the story line sounded interesting enough. I later read that the movie won four Golden Globes -Best Drama, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Musical Score. I didn't know these categories before watching the film, but I definitely agree - this is one of the best movies and with the most amazing soundtrack that I've seen in a very long time.

Directed by Danny Boyle, the movie is set (and filmed) in India, mostly Mumbai, and shows the life of Jamal Malik, former slum-kid and current successful contestant on the Indian 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire'. At the opening of the film, we see Jamal being questioned by the authorities - because how could a 'slum dog' be so successful at 'Millionaire' without cheating? Through a series of flashbacks, we see Jamal's life, and his life lessons.

I also fell in love with the soundtrack, which has an earthy, passionate sound and is sort of a mix of Indian movie music and ...something more aggressive. Totally excellent score by A.R. Rahman.

Watch it if you can!

No comments: