Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Okuribito at the Academy Awards

When I lived in Montreal, I was always aware of new movies, and usually went at least once or twice the to annual Montreal Film Festival. Since I've been in Japan, you'd think that I would pay more attention especially to Japanese films. However, it wasn't until I was watching the news that I learned about a Japanese movie called "Okuribito" (English name: Departures) that had won an Oscar for the best foreign language film.

This movie is two years old and has won a string of prestigious awards, including ten Japan Academy Awards.

The official Japanese site for the movie is here
, and the English version is here.

Well - that movie has now been added to my 'must see list'. I'll review it once I've watched it!

(Side note- Slumdog Millionaire too EIGHT awards, including an Oscar for Best Picture. Awesome.)

No comments: