Sunday, October 11, 2009

Another New Camera - Nikon S640

While everybody knows that Brian and I are Nikon consumers when it comes to our DSLRs, for our small digital cameras we've been using Lumix for the last few years. I bought a used Lumix LZ1 just over a year ago and had not been at all happy with the image quality. When a friend was leaving Japan, she gave me her old Sony Cybershot - and I really liked it! Just point and shoot, but clear, color-rich images and camera portability made it a great little camera. However, that camera had already seen better days, had been left out on the beach in the rain, been dropped, etc. and I guess the final straw was our last beach visit, where, I think, some some got into the lens motor. Anyway, the camera is no longer functional.

I had received some gift certificates from my internet provided for upgrading to high-speed fibre optic, and had been saving them for something like a new camera! So, a couple of days ago I went to my local camera shop, ready to buy the new Sony Cybershot, but I ended up coming away with a Nikon Coolpix S640 - the newest of the Coolpix lineup. I got a 9,000 yen discount (though I'm not sure why), and a really cool read camera.

I've been shooting with it for a couple of days, and I think, so far I'm really really happy with the image quality, as well as the ease-of-use of the camera.

Here's one sample image, not tweaked in Photoshop at all:



3 comments:

Lyn said...

New camera seems extremely sharp ... good choice.

bernicky said...

Nice shot. How did you shots from the Old Montreal photo safari go? It's always fun to get your hands on a new camera and put it through its paces. Enjoy the small format - the great thing about point and shoot is that you can always have a camera with you. You should be able to get some great macro shots with that camera.

bernicky said...

BTW I forgot to mention that the photo club I put together at school has been going well. Of course I set up a website so if you are interested in dropping by drop me a line for the URL (the site is not publicly accessible or Googleable)