Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Relaxing Birthday

Yesterday (Friday) marked my 38th birthday. Since my birthday fell on a Friday, I decided to 'celebrate' by taking the day off and savouring some 'me time', which was wonderful. We then decided to have a quiet evening of pizza and a DVD, saving the real outing for today, when we did one of my favourite things - spending the day at a nice onsen (spa)!

We stayed close to home and went to Cha-me-no-Yu, part of the Gotemba Kogen resort. We arrived there at about 10:30 a.m. Upon arrival and 'check in', we were given a yukata set that we would then spend the day wearing around the buildings whenever we were not nakedly bathing in the big, deep, hot baths.

We spent the entire day there, having lunch at the Cha-me-no-Yu restaurant. When taking breaks from the bath, we just relaxed - swinging in hammocks, swinging in swings, sitting in massage chairs, or napping out in the nap room:

[caption id="attachment_1509" align="alignnone" width="450" caption="In an outdoor hammock after a bath"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1510" align="alignnone" width="480" caption="It's common to put your little towel on your head in an onsen"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1511" align="alignnone" width="480" caption="Afternoon nap in the 'Relax Room'"][/caption]

While Brian merely rested his eyes a little, I totally fell asleep on the heated pad while listening to an audio book on my iPod. When I finally woke up, we took yet another bath before calling it a day and heading home.

2 comments:

lyn said...

Sounds like the perfect day. And, very Japanese ... no such facilities here (at least not out here in the boonies - maybe on the Pacific coast cities.)

Karin said...

That looks wonderful - I'm glad your birthday was special.