Thursday, April 22, 2010

Half Marathon

Our spring has been cooler than usual for this time of year, so our team trained under ideal conditions. Surprisingly, though, race day warmed and sun grew strong for the exact duration of the running. Whew!

For this run we formed a team of 7 racers, from our company and a client's staff; the decided theme was the rainbow, so each of us was attired in a specific and unique color. This was harder to arrange than envisioned,  but we largely succeeded. Two ran the 10km, and five of us the half-marathon. Here we are after the running (with our 'ghost runner'):

Tracy ran the 21km from start to finish, but I slowed and limped/hopped for a large section in the middle. The thought of quitting was strong as my foot rejected the switch to new footwear, but when the pain became constant instead of step-dependent, I could continue forward progress. (This pain had flaired before, and seemed to depend not on how far I ran, but how long I wore the shoes. This new pair was wider and I hoped a safer choice.) Here is a great video demonstrating the source of the pain:

I'm looking into options, as I want to keep running, and am looking forward to my next chance to race!

1 comment:

lyn said...

Gambatte and all that, but OUCH! What sorts of treatments are available?