Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Old Family Photos

When I was visiting my mother back in February/March, I spent some time going through a big box of old photos. There were photos from way back at the turn of the century from my father's family, to a lot of photos from the 70s and up on my mother's side.

I noticed that there were far fewer older photos, and they had been clearly labeled for the most part so I know who is in the photo and when the photos were taken. As cameras became more accessible, and everyone became a photographer, the photo collection grew, and most photos are not labeled at all. Luckily, my mother remembered a lot of the people in the photos, and I will eventually try to label them.

It made me realize that even with digital collections, we should label or tag the photos with the who and where, while hopefully the metadata of the 'when' stays intact.

Anyway, I selected a few of the older or more nostalgic pics to bring back to Japan with me, and have finally had a chance to start scanning them.

Here are old photos from my father's side of the family:

[caption id="attachment_1661" align="alignnone" width="304" caption="Paternal Grandmother and her sister, circa 1906"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1662" align="alignnone" width="277" caption="Paternal Great Grandfather"][/caption]

Though I made a few minor tweaks (Curves, Fade Correction), I haven't yet begun to do any restoration. Some of the other photos that I have would benefit from more work.

No comments: