Monday, May 24, 2010

Rainy Sunday with my Kindle

Ebook Readers have really taken off over the last couple of years, and of course, as an avid reader, I paid attention. But, like many true readers, I was not really attracted to 'electronic books', as to me, there could be no replacement for the feeling of the paper in my fingers, and the sound of turning pages.

BUT - I do recognize some of the benefits of a E-Reader, immediate gratification when it comes to getting my hands on reading material being one of them. Also, the ability to carry around over a thousand 'books' in one small package was a plus, and had me thinking more and more about getting myself an electronic reader. Last week, I gave in to the hype and bought an Amazon Kindle 2.

Yesterday I spent my day lounging in my za-isu (floor chair), just reading a mystery novel on my Kindle.

The verdict? I really love it. I love having online 3G access wherever I go, and being able to download new books or magazines from the Kindle store on a whim. I also get the Mainichi newspaper delivered directly to the Kindle every day - way cool

That said, however, I still say there is no true replacement for a solid, paper and ink book. While I love my Kindle and the cool new technology, I will not ever totally give up my good old-fashioned paper-back novels!

[caption id="attachment_1720" align="alignnone" width="265" caption="Reading the Newspaper on my Kindle"][/caption]

3 comments:

lyn said...

Karin has a Kindle, too. I'm still lusting after one, but she said I could borrow hers for our flight to Japan in October (which is where the concept should really, really pay off! It's hard carrying enough heavy paperbacks to last for two overseas flights and two weeks away from home!)

One of the newer ones has a read-aloud option, which sounds great for driving ... I'm hoping soon they will have that option in real (not mechanical) voices.)

Karin said...

I am completely in love with my Kindle. I just finished reading "The Girl Who Played with Fire" a follow up to "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest". As soon as I was done I went to find the third (and final book) in the series. I've ordered it but it won't download until tomorrow when it is released but at that time... presto.

I'm filling in my spare reading time with "Happy for No reason", a self-help type book about happiness that my Kindle's former owner left on it. He left me approximately 30 books, some of which I will even read.

I've also downloaded a subscription to crossword puzzles that I've not yet tried.

Tracy said...

Cool! I didn't know you had a Kindle. I don't know anyone with one yet - they just started being sold overseas in October.

The read aloud option is cool, but I too would prefer a less mechanical voice!