Friday, May 14, 2010

Rice Paddy Walks and other Updates

The spring weather, with earlier sunrises and later sunsets, lends itself to more outdoor activity, such as running. However, Brian's Morton's Neuroma has worsened, and requires another doctor consultation. Hopefully they will do surgery rather than take the 'let's wait and see' approach this time.

So, Brian's pain in the foot is keeping him mostly off his feet (no running, no hiking, no real walking - or any other rigorous foot-involved activity). As for me, I'm finally breaking out of my cold-weather/bleak morning induced laziness and have started running again in the mornings before work, and have even taken to long walks after work.

Though I've only been out for a walk a few times, I've been spending about an hour each outing walking through the rice paddies and in the mountains that surround our neighborhood.

Before last week, I didn't really 'get' walking. Running or biking certainly burn more calories rather than just a stroll in the park - so why not run or bike? However, walking at a brisk pace is better than sitting on the sofa for sure, and I also see now that the benefits go beyond just physical fitness. I find, after a long day cooped up at the office, a long, pleasant walk away from road traffic, is refreshing for the mind as well as the body. As I walk, I can almost feel the cloudiness lift from my brain, the weightiness move from my mind.

And, the scenery is nice, too!

[caption id="attachment_1705" align="alignnone" width="480" caption="Meditative Cat"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1706" align="alignnone" width="480" caption="Flooded Rice Paddies"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1707" align="alignnone" width="270" caption="Ducks in a Rice Paddy"][/caption]

2 comments:

lyn said...

Lovely photos!
I'm a big fan of walking ... I love hearing the birds and the creeks and waterfalls and crickets and frogs and ... whatever else!
Good thinking time, too.
However, here in Florida I walk at night (not so beastly hot) and listen to books on ipod. So, no nature noises but lots of good reading!

Tracy said...

I also listen to audio books on my iPod while I walk - I can't believe how much fun they are.