Sunday, February 20, 2011

Memories and Memory

Brian and I often find ourselves reminiscing. We always did remember fun, interesting, bizarre, or other events or places, but the memories, now that I have left my home of more than twelve years, have a poignancy that was not there before. But still, remembering fondly the day we tried to walk to the video store in a very rare snowfall, or how we got lost the first time we drove to a place we eventually became so familiar with that we could drive there in our sleep, gives me a warm and happy feeling of nostalgia.

On the hand, while my memories remain powerful, I find that my memory itself is fading. What I mean is, I find myself now searching my mind for place names; like the other night, I had a dream that we were on our motorbikes, resting at a pass in Izu. I could not remember the name of the pass, although we'd been there so many times... several days later, I remember it was Kameishi, at the entrance of the Izu Skyline.

There are other gaps too - I couldn't remember the beautiful temple village we visited just in my last week in Japan (Koyasan), and I still can't remember the name of another pass in Izu that we often took scenic drives over, although for some reason I think it has something to do with cows.

This loss of simple memory saddens me, but the more important memories are intact, and that matters more to me anyway!

No comments: