Friday, January 27, 2006

First 5K - Atami Beachline!

I love riding. I have been riding seriously for years - as a roadie in Montreal, and a mountain biker here in Japan.

But since July of last year, having been inspired by Bernicky and Alyssa, I've been dedicating some time to running. I discovered, to my surprise, that a morning run is actually very nice, and I have also discovered that running downhill in winter is a hell of a lot warmer than riding downhill in winter, and since flats are not an option where I live (first I go straight up, then I fly straight down), running is a warmer way to keep in shape throughout the chilly months.

This year, I decided that, like other runners, I wanted to test my endurance and meet other people out for a good time. To that end, I have enrolled for my first race - only a short, flat 5 K (kilometers) along the Pacific coast in Atami. I've got plenty of time to train for the March 12 race, which should be a good race for beginners; and if all goes well, I may continue to join races and go longer distances or more challenging terrain.

Here is the flyer:

2 comments:

bernicky said...

Go for it!
If you are doing 5 now, just keep training the distance. Those hills are going to pay off big time when you hit a flat run :)

-lyn said...

gambatte!