Monday, January 23, 2006

Rules of the Road

Tracy's recent license renewal reminded me that although I moved about 2 years ago, I haven't informed the authorities of my address change, so I made the trip to the friendly, but not really local, 'License Center' for the update. In 10 years of driving in Japan I've never even been looked at by police while driving, let alone pulled over. I can't imagine getting ticketed.

Later that day, still in the paperwork mood, searching for my documents to renew my working visa, I found this traffic ticket tucked into my passport wallet; I had forgotten the incident but will post it here to share. Only on the road in Thailand for two days, and I get burned by the man (acually men, with pistols).

This shouldn't have been too big a surprise, though, as I was guilty, and there were plenty of witnesses. I paid the fine, about $6, in cash, and was released with a "Happy New Year" in English. If anyone can correctly identify the infraction there may be a prize...




















The day before, Tracy and I followed the one road on the island (a ring road) to the most remote section at the southern end. Some maps we had seen indicated a sandy beach accessible only by this section of road, but the maps described the section as "Under Construction" "Abandoned" and "Planned" interchangably. A few kilometers in, but still far from our beach destination, we found this washout:




















The footbridge practically swayed under the skinny jungle dog that came across to greet us, so there was no way to get the bikes across. (This was few minutes after Tracy saw the loooooong python.)




















We had hoped to try again from this point on foot, with provisions for walking in such heat, but we didn't make it back to this end. Maybe next time!

2 comments:

Team Sharma said...

I always knew that you were trouble. Good of you to pay that astronomical fine.

bernicky said...

I always suspected you were an outlaw.

The infraction? Looking suspicious while driving with too many bicycles? How'd I do?

I figure for $6.00 and witnesses you had to have burned a stop sign.