Monday, May 15, 2006

Fuji-Susono Kogen Marathon - 10K!

I ran my first 10K race yesterday. It was described as an "up-down course" - which is exactly what it sounds like. I ran the first five kilometers straight uphill, and the last five came back down again.

It was tough, but a lot of fun - racers coming down as I was still going up usually said something encouraging (like, "keep going!"), and the volunteers at various points along the course were very encouraging to the runners, and a couple even knew my name as they shouted "gambatte!".

In the end, I came in at 1 hour, 8 minutes and 24 seconds. Not great timing - and I thoguhtI was pretty slow when the 60 year old guy passed me. My thoughts were confirmed when I was then passed by a 60 year old blind guy (no joke).

Bernicky had advised me earlier on to train well for this race - and it is advice I didn't heed. I had only run about twice in the last two months, as I've been spending more time on the bike and in the gym these days. I also let my eating habits slip - wine, pizza and chu-hi (a sweet alcoholic beverage) in the days leading up to the race was probably not the best nutrion for running!

However - it was a great run, and a race I will do again next year.

Here are some action shots:

Me at the start of the race:



Me with only one kilometer left to go!

6 comments:

Team Sharma said...

Good for you!

bernicky said...

The levels or accomplishment in racing are as follows.
1 - Won the race, a rare thing for anyone over 30.

2 - Won the age group, a rare thing for anyone.

3 - Personal best, we all strive for it and it is sweet when we get one.

4 - Ran a good race.

5 - Finished.

6 - Did not finish

7 - Did not start due to injury

8 - Don't run

All but the last are good results in my book. Congrats on the 10K!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I am proud of you

mom

-lyn said...

Atta girl! Hey ... I see that your mom wrote a comment, too. Atta girl, Mom!!!!
Lyn

Internet Street Philosopher said...

Get em Tracy!

Anonymous said...

What is gambatte? Love you babe.

MOM