Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Housework is Therapeutic for Women

or so states a British survey (a news story that you don't have to register for can be found here).

Now, as a modern woman, a feminist, I could find this offensive.

Or, I could be a realist, a zennist, and say, "how true". Of course, I say "how true". I'm sure if men were polled, the results would be the same - housework, cooking, is simply therapeutic, no matter your gender.

I have just finished cooking a nice curry dinner (yes - complete with fresh vegetables and fresh chopped garlic!), and it WAS relaxing. Similar to riding, in fact - I focus only on what's before me. Slice the onion thinly, chop the garlic finely, add a delicate dash of nanpra to the mix...and all life's frustrations fade.

A few years ago, my mom visited me here in Japan. She was astounded - not only to see me cook (me, the Queen of Kraft Dinner!), but to see that I enjoyed it. And I do enjoy it - like mountain biking, cooking brings a certain peace, a freedom from the day to day travails we all face...

That said, I wouldn't like it half so much if I had to do it (smile:-0

4 comments:

kurisu said...

Bit like studying French, eh? ;)

bernicky said...

When we abandon the expecations of others (like movements which are suppose to be in our interest) and focus on what we need the things which most satisfy are frequently the most simple.

Internet Street Philosopher said...

Housework is theraputic, and I'm a guy! I like mopping, sweeping and scrubbing, vaccuming and doing laundry. I miss having a lawn to cut the grass on though.

-lyn said...

I'll take digging in the dirt in a garden any day ... same therapeutic effects, altho then I'm hungry and no one has dinner ready!