Thursday, September 20, 2007

Spoiled by High-Speed Access

When I first came to Japan years ago, not many normal people had internet access. Dial up connections were expensive, and not to mention that even local phone calls were charged by the minute. At that time, Canada was definitely ahead of the game and people I knew (including me) even had dedicated phone lines for their net connection.

Well, times have changed. With 3G cell phones and hotspots even in my small city, internet connectivity is pretty rampant generally lightening-fast. According to this article from the Washington Post titled “Japan's Warp-Speed to the Internet Future”, the “broadband service here is eight to 30 times as fast as in the United States”. Huh. Who knew?

We really love our internet access and were curious about the speeds. So, after reading this article, Brian cruised over to Speedtest.net and tested his internet speed which was, in fact, rather fast. Here are the results




Not bad, really, especially as it was wireless.

4 comments:

-lyn said...

Wow. I checked my dial-up here in Florida. Now you will understand when I whine about slow connection speeds: I'm downloading at 21 kbs and uploading at 55 kbs.

bernicky said...

Whow that is blinding speed. My cable connection is 6664 down and 771 up and that is hard wire! Amazing that you have a 30% speed advantage and it is wireless.

Kannika Pena said...

http://www.japanrider.com/blogphotos/Swings72dpi.jpg

Hi. I hope you don't mind that I use this as a banner picture for my blog of stories. I'll be sure to leave you credit and link you. :)

Thanks.

Tracy said...

Awesome comments - lets me know how others are surfing...