Sunday, November 18, 2007

Gotemba Supremium Outlet Mall

Getting there: Take the train to JR Gotemba station, on the Gotemba line. If you're coming from Shinjuku, you may want to take the Odakyu Romance Car called The Asagiri, that stops in Gotemba only about 5 times per day but is very comfortable, easy and affordable. There is a free shuttle bus to the mall that leaves from Gotemba station every twenty minutes (10 past, half past and 10 till the hour). More info can be found at: http://www.premiumoutlets.co.jp/en/gotemba/access/index.php

Yesterday was spent mostly in front of the computer for me, and doing other projects for Brian. Today we greeted the day ready to go shopping at the Gotemba Supremium Outlet Mall. It was sort of a spontaneous decision; I've been feeling like shopping for a while, and Brian decided that he needed a jacket. So off we went.

Now, I know that everyone has been to an outlet mall before, but here I want to give you an idea of what this particular mall is like on a sunny Sunday afternoon. It's less than 20km from our apartment and I've been several times for a day of shopping over the years; it's easy to just decide on the spur of the moment to go shopping. But this mall is actually something of a tourist attraction and attracts people from as far away as Gunma, Nagano, Yamanashi, and Nagoya, just to name a few. These are families, and boyfriends and girlfriends, who plan one special weekend around a trip to this mall. And trust me - there were enough people there, with their dogs in tow, to keep all but the bravest from diving into the Nike store! I enjoy shopping Outlet Mall but seriously I can't figure out why it is so popular. I go there because it's fun - and close by. I would certainly not drive through three other prefectures just to get to it.

However - we really did enjoy our day walking around outside and going into all the stores. I suppose the 5.5 hours we spent shopping were more fun for me than Brian since I came away with a couple of jackets, blouses and perfume, while Brian wasn't able to find just the right jacket with just the right fit. Instead, he is going to place an order with My Suit Shop.com where he has always been satisfied! Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to trying out some of my new purchases...

2 comments:

Team Sharma said...

I'm lucky to have an oulet mall between the house and the office (roughly five miles from either one). It is really the only shopping close to either one until the Spring when the first of our two brand new supermalls will be opening. One will be directly across the street from the outlet mall the other a whole three miles south. I don't much enjoy shopping but close does make up for a lot.

Anonymous said...

Five and a half hours shopping!!!! That is torture. I guess I am not a shopper. I like to go - buy and leave preferably within 20 minutes.

- Denis