Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ubuntu 7.10 - a.k.a. Gutsy Gibbon

My "alone day" on Saturday was very productive. Brian and I went for a vigorous ride in the chilly morning air; after that, I spent some time finally upgrading my Ubuntu OS from Feisty Fawn to Gutsy Gibbon (Ubuntu has cool animal names for all its versions - Edgy Eft, Feisty Fawn, Gutsy Gibbon...).

I've been playing with and enjoying Ubuntu for nearly a year now. Ubuntu, which bills itself as "Linux for Humans", is a completely free operating system, and I've been having fun poking around in it and customizing it.

Anyway - upgrading the version is super easy and for me, at least, it went off without a hitch. I first installed any security and/or software updates under System-Administration-Update manager; still in the update manager, I simply then went ahead and clicked the "Upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10" option. And now here I am, fully functional in Gutsy Gibbon. Here's a screenshot, just for fun:



Oh, and I also spent some time on Saturday re-doing our main Japan Rider site, making use of the power of CSS...though you can't actually see the CSS part:-)

2 comments:

Team Sharma said...

I actually arrive at your blog from the Japan Rider homepage (so I can keep tabs on the changes) it looks great!

Anonymous said...

Gutsy is a good distro the only issue I have with any Linux distro at the moment is wireless support. Though a recent post at Lockergnome - http://www.lockergnome.com/linux/2007/09/25/ubuntu-gutsy-wireless-news-huge/
points to that not being so much of an issue in the future. Fingers crossed.

You really are an oobergeek now you know :)

- Blogger is not letting me login so I am publishing this one anonymously ;)

Denis