Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Japanese Language Proficiency Test, Level 2, July 2009

My nihongo skills have dropped drastically in the past year or two. I simply haven't been using my Japanese as much as I used to, and my studies have stagnated. I blame my teacher, who never complains when I don't do any homework or when I thwart her lesson plans and force free conversation her instead! No, seriously, I need a goal. That's just how I study best. So, I've decided to sit the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT), level 2, again. Not in December of course, no WAY! Luckily, in 2009, the levels one and two (the two more advanced levels) will also be held in July in Japan and a few other areas of Asia. So, that's my goal.

Needless to say, my sensei is thrilled. She will no longer have to watch my brutal decline, or my determination to avoid any kind of teaching she may have to offer! I also still have a slew of really good texts and CDs from the last time I sat the test (and failed, duh).

Other news for test takers - in 2010, the levels will shift as a new level will be added. Anyone who has taken the tests will know that there is a huge (HUGE!) gap between san-kyu and ni-kyu (level three and two). Three is fairly easy, two is nearly impossible. So, the new format will introduce a new level, which will fall somewhere between two and three, bridging that gap.

Ah, something to look forward to.

1 comment:

-lyn said...

Gambatte!
And, I think Brian ought to go for it, too ... best opportunity for a study partner for you both! (Or, has he done it already?)
Mom