Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mild Shizuoka

I love living in Japan. This is probably obvious since I've been here for more than ten years now. One of the many things I enjoy is the relatively mild climate. Today, for kicks, I checked the weather forecast for Montreal (my hometown); tomorrow Montreal is expecting a high of six degrees Celsius. And as Halloween approaches, I remember how, as a child, I had to wear a damned winter coat over my costume, and trudge through the snow to go trick or treating. Okay - I'm exaggerating about the amount October snow. But not by much.

On the coast of Eastern Japan, snow is not an issue. For me, the novelty of wearing short-sleeves outdoors in mid-October still has not worn off. On Sunday, Brian and I rode in the mountains, exploring new and old trails, in shorts and short-sleeves, and we worked up quite the sweat. Tomorrow's forecast for us is a high of 24 degrees (C), with a low (a low!!) of 16.

It isn't just about the climate of course, but I have to say that warmth and sunshine make for a happier person. Oh, and the wonderful food, people, and territory help, too!

3 comments:

owenandbenjamin said...

Ten years, wow. So Cal is also great for weather. Still nice and sunny here. I plan to do a lot more mountain bike riding over the next several weeks before any rains come. If no rain, then I will keep riding.

bernicky said...

Just because we are expecting some snow tonight is no reason to rub it in. Still it must be nice to stay in shorts and t-shirt almost all year around.

Tracy said...

I do not miss the snow! Sorry, Bernicky:-)

So Cal does sound great. I love places where mountain biking IS a winter sport!