Thursday, March 05, 2009

Japan Historical Mysteries

I've been (planning to be) studying for the Level 2 JLPT which is scheduled for early July. All I've succeeded in doing is reminding myself that my grammar is not nearly up to snuff, and I think I've forgotten more than I've learned! I've set up a bit of a game plan - I will review grammar for at least the next month, then concentrate on Level two specific things.

Of course, I absolutely must read, even if I should be studying. So I figured, in addition to re-reading my favourite (translated) books by Banana Yoshimoto and Haruki Murakami, I could also indulge in a few mystery novels, as long as I could keep my mind Japan focused.

To that end, I got my hands on a couple of historical fiction mystery novels set in Japan. One is from a series by Laura Joh Rowland, which is set in the Edo period and follows the adventures of samurai detective Sano Ichiro. I've just started reading Shinju, the first book in the series, and it seems entertaining enough.

Another series I discovered (but haven't begun to read yet) follows I.J. Parker's detective, Sugawara Akitada, as he solves crime in eleventh century Japan. This, too, could prove entertaining.

Both seem light but interesting and are, of course, just another excuse to avoid really studying!

3 comments:

Karin said...

Try the Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn. It's a beautiful read, not set in Japan but heavily flavored that way.

bernicky said...

Natsuo Kirino - nuff said. Take it from the webmaster of TheMysterySite.com

Tracy said...

I love Natsuo, and have read a couple of hers. A bit bleak for this time of year:-)

Thanks for the Hearn tip - I've added it to my Amazon wishlist.