Thursday, March 12, 2009

Killing Time

Dagny Taggart, in Rand's Atlas Shrugged, detests the expression, "to kill time". As all of Rand's protagonists, Dagny is intelligent, hard working and productive. She also believes that time is not there to be "killed" but to be used productively.

Ah, well. Though I love the book, I have to admit that I have found numerous ways to kill time; or, rather, to procrastinate!

  • Digg - I surf the top stories, then read the comments, which either entertain or annoy me. I occasionally post a comment or two, as well.
  • List Universe - I try to save this up for a few days, then spend an hour reading the lists, and then researching whatever gruesome detail gets my attention. Today I learned that there are twenty-eight families who suffer from Fatal Familial Insomnia. As the name of the disease suggests, it's always fatal.
  • Stumble Upon - I've of course installed the tool bar in my Firefox browser, and when at a loss for other things to do, I simply hit the "Stumble" button, which brings up a random page of something.
  • Wikipedia - I just click "Random Article" (in the left-hand widget), reading the things that interest me, and often looking up other related items.

Just a few things I like to surf...

No comments: