Monday, September 14, 2009

VRX Tuning

When first considering a motorcycle, I knew that I had to stay under 400cc, and I hoped to choose something that would require / induce a minimum of tweaking... After just three months, I have changed almost every non-drivetrain part of this bike, sometimes even twice!

Last week, I installed a 2 into 1 head pipe, and a 'Captain' type muffler... the pipe is chrome while the muffler is black, and I bought it on the auction months ago. I swapped it to reach my dream of satisfactory saddlebag capacity for light touring, and was delighted at the incredible weight savings, too. Last weekend's trip to Izu was certainly quieter than the previous 2 into 2 configuration, and there was a noticeable increase in low-end torque. Between 5 and 8 thousand rpm, though, it hit a brick wall, making noise but not power.

Yesterday I went out on a limb and bought a 'brand new' captain-type muffler, but this one is not JMCA approved, and it has removable silencers inside. It is shiny chrome, and one can see through it from end to end. After installing, I also replaced the grips and mounted a (final!) rear turn signal mounting bracket. It grew dark before I could test anything, so a shake down had to wait until this morning...

Last night's thunder storms and downpours left my seat soaked, but otherwise the bike was ready to ride (after my own dawn 8 km training run!). Immediate conclusion: WOW! The sound is great, with the idle being lowered from 1200 to 1000. The individual firings are really apparent (it sings 'potato-potato-potato' at idle), but it fired up with only a little choke.  On the road, the low-end was still great or better, and, after warming up, the 5000rpm+ range pulled hard, too! The sound pressure volume is bearable, but definitely above legal. It can be ridden quietly, but the sound is very distinctive even when crawling...

I will definitely keep this configuration... The pipe is low allowing large and symmetrical saddlebags; the sound is very noticeable and therefore safer; torque is improved immensely adding to the fun but tractable power experience, and it is at least 40 pound lighter than previously. I might adjust the carbs to be a little richer, but there was very little afterfire as it is now.

After my (4 hour!) test ride, I re-mounted my rear blinkers to the license plate stay, and removed the fender rail covers. I will start looking for matching saddlebags soon, hopefully with a zip-off feature like Tracy's Degners.

Here is how it looked before noon today:

[gallery]

2 comments:

lyn said...

Sounds good ... wait! Did you say the noise level is "above legal?"

Otherwise, sounds like you're getting it together. Loved the pix, too.

Mom

Tracy said...

Well, that is certainly a beautiful muffler - can't wait to hear it in person!