Thursday, September 30, 2010

Benefits of Repatriation

My last post was a lot of venting, explaining some of the tediousness, and unpleasantness, associated with repatriating to Quebec. I did not say earlier, but when I first fled Montreal, I swore I would never, ever come back Quebec. Montreal I loved, Quebec I loathed.  However, maturity softens many points of view, and despite some hard moments, I have to acknowledge that  repatriating to the place of one's birth, to the place where all formative years were spent, also has some advantages.

One of the advantages, that can't be given too much emphasis, is a large, loving (if neurotic!) family, and lots of old friends. I mean close friends, not just acquaintances. I've already rejoined a dart league (yes, I'm a great, big nerd), and have been invited to join another on Monday nights. I've got a dinner and bowling invitation for Saturday night with  two friends who I haven't seen in eight years or so. Oh, Friday night will be a girl's night out down town with a friend I see every time I make it back to town - we will likely drink a lot of beer on tap, and sit in a corner and talk only to each other!

And next week, I'm going to hang out with my uncle and his long-time partner, probably having a long chat, drinking chai, and doing some networking since his partner is a successful manager of Telus. I should be able to find out about jobs to be had...

Of course, as soon as Denis (Bernicky) can manage it, we are going to meet for coffee or tea or whatever. He's been really under the gun the last few months, and any time I want to whine about my life, I'll remember his fortitude as he deals with all the crap on his plate (his wife has been battling breast cancer for more than five years, and now needs almost constant care; he's got two teenage children with all the accompanying needs of teenagers; he's holding down a full-time job and trying hard to make ends meet; the list goes on..). But Denis and I have been great friends from way back, and I hope that being back here, I can maybe lend a hand when necessary.

My family, too, have been good. I'll be renting a car to drive to Ottawa for Thanksgiving at my brother and sister-in-law's house (Thanksgiving here is October 10/11). And my mother, who is still recovering well from lung cancer and surgery and chemo, is so very happy to have me here, she has no intention of ever throwing me off her sofa, and even brings me home beer from the store!

In addition to having such a good lot of friends and a great support network, I have access to lots of good facilities.  I've already joined the local YMCA; being unemployed, I do not want to splurge on the fancy gyms, but actually the Y is really good, so I don't need anything else. I met with a personal trainer today, had a good work out and feel inspired to lose a few pounds.

Other good things...I ran 10 km yesterday, along the St. Lawrence river, noticing how the trees are starting to change colour; the local supermarket is just a 10 minute walk away, and has a huge variety of food, including curries and other exotic goodies; red wine here is not as expensive as I'd thought; although my French sucks, people are quite friendly if I show a willingness to try to speak. And finally - even though I felt that the Zen Centre woman was quite snotty, I feel fortunate that there is a Zen Centre at all.

No comments: