Thursday, September 30, 2010

Trials of Repatriation: Losing my Wa

I've been here for less than a week, and I am already contemplating rebording the plane and seeking refuge in my familiar Japan!

I've been back to Montreal several times in the past twelve months, but those were temporary visits, a two-week hiatus from my real life in Japan. But now I am here, without a plan to return, instead trying to repatriate, to start life again in a new (old) place.

Letting go of life in Japan was a tough decision, and selling the car and bike and moving away were all parts of the letting go.  I thought I was done with it - but as I deal with a lot of the bureaucratic bullshit that is Quebec,  I frequently find myself wishing for all my Japan life back again.

I called the drivers' license office today about getting my Quebec license. It is possible to convert from Japanese to Quebec license, as I knew it was. However, retardedly, because I am Canadian, I need to have six consecutive months of past bank statements or bills in Japan as proof that I lived there.

I am a minimalist, and do not keep statements generally. Also, I just moved overseas, and transporting a bunch of extraneous paper across the ocean didn't seem necessary. So, I do not have any paper bills at all. I tried, at first calmly, to explain this, and to explain that it was clear from my passport that I've spent a total of less then two months in Canada over the last dozen years. Also clear from my passport is that I have held a valid Japanese visa for the past twelve years. Also, I am a holder of a Japanese Alien Registration Card, which served as my proof of address for all nearly thirteen years that I spent in Japan.  No go.

Now, if I have learned anything in Japan, it is to be patient, polite. Do not blame the messenger. But seriously, this woman on the phone today was an ignoramus who was not 'just doing her job', she was doing the absolute minimum. Maybe that was no excuse for my outburst - but my outburst did provoke greater action and finally got me something that maybe made more sense: a tax statement, translated, I was told,  would be okay.

Okay. Tax statement - Brian is able to send me the last year or two, so that should be okay. I also called Citibank and asked them to send me the last six months of my statements (although I do have the past four months still in my email box). It would be good to have both as a precaution.

So why am I jumping through these hoops? Why not just retake the Quebec license? Apparently, to do so would take one year (??), but driving courses are not a pre-requisite for new licenses acquired in Quebec. Another glitch - I am only legally allowed to drive for 90 days after my arrival in Canada. Yes, now I remember - I did leave Quebec for a reason all those years ago!

And I forgot to ask what kind of paperwork I needed to transfer my motorcycle license over...god only knows what I'll have to do for that!

Fortunately, my visa is still good. If the Quebec license bureau has not issued me a license by December, I will fly back to Japan for a short vacation, and return to Quebec again, buying me another 90 days!

Anyway, after this, I called the Montreal Zen Center. I would never have lost my temper if I'd been practicing, sitting every day. On the phone, I was told I'd have to attend a beginner's workshop, followed by the beginner's course. I said okay, no problem, but I did have some experience in Japan, and practiced at several temples. The woman got snotty and told me that I should practice humility. HUH!

Already I was in a pissy mood. Determined not to let it get worse, I said, 'Mustn't we all. Could you please register me for the workshop, then?'

What the hell? When was simply explaining that you were not a beginner wrong? I guess she thought I was bragging. I wasn't, or didn't think I was. I was stating a fact.

Added to this that I'm only just recovering from jet lag, and still living out of two suitcases...my wa is out of wack!

Things are certainly not all bad, tough. I will post separately about the pleasurable aspects of repatriation.

No comments: