Saturday, April 23, 2011

Brevity of Time

Easter is here. This is the first time in about thirteen years that I have been in a pre-dominantly Christian country, and where Easter is even acknowledged. For me, I find it pleasant enough just to have a reason for people to be off work (I, of course, am off just about every day!). My mother has gone to Ottawa to enjoy some time with my brother and sister-in-law, and will very likely have a nice dinner. I will be going to my friend's place for a ham and pineapple - neither of which I have eaten in a very long time.

While Easter is associated with spring and with re-birth, in Japan we celebrate hanami - the lovely sakura (cherry blossoms) that bloom only very briefly before blowing off into th spring breeze. People go out and sit under the trees, sing songs and drink lots of beer. It is the Japanese way to acknowledge the brevity of life, and to appreciate what is present, even if only very briefly.

While I too, am appreciating the day, I am also pleased to have a rebirth. Spring is a great time to start fresh, to make spring resolutions, and get healthy.

 

No comments: