Thursday, November 17, 2005

Great Service and the Nikon D50

In the wonderful after-glow of having sold four bicycles and two frames between us, Brian and I bought a new camera - the Nikon D50, an entry-level DSLR. This camera was released earlier this year, and received rave reviews from PC Magazine and DP Review (which you can read here and here). I can now add my own opinions to these professioanl reviewers: This camera rocks! It is a good size with a nice grip, and I love the way it feels in my hand; it fires up very quickly and there is no noticeable shutter lag when snapping photos. It is also loaded with functions, allowing plenty of control. As for picture quality - I will load up some photos soon!

Now, anyone out there who reads photo magazines, etc... will have heard that there was a world-wide recall on the batteries that are in the D50. I surfed over to the Nikon page (here in English and here in Japanese) and checked out the recall codes, and sure enough, my battery was one of the ones being recalled. So, I called up the phone number provided on the Japanese page, where I spoke to A PERSON (not a computer!) at about 5 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon. Very politely I was asked for my address, and told that a new battery would be sent to me. On Tuesday evening, a delivery service arrived at my door, prepared to make the swap - he gave me the new battery, I gave him my old battery - no questions asked.

Now, I'm not criticizing Western society, but I have to say, I have never received such good service as I do here. And I love my Nikon D50!

2 comments:

bernicky said...

Wow, that rocks. You would never receive anything approaching that type of service here. The best you would get is a transshipment service which would require you to ship to them as they shipped to you but not before they took your credit card number to guarantee that you shipped to them. And you would have to pay for the shipping on your own. Of course the alternative would be to take it to an authorized repair center which would only be open between 9 and 5 and be situated in an industrial park in part of the city you've never been too and has no parking anywhere but lots of meter maids. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm also a Canadian living in Japan, and I concur — the service is amazing here, just about everywhere you go. Even visiting McDonald's can be a pleasure because of how they treat you.

Paul