Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Self-Identifying and Coming Out

Yes, it is time for me to come out of the closet. I have acknowledged who I am, and feel the time is now for me to declare it, to friends and family (and, in fact, whoever in cyberspace trips across this blog).

My name is Tracy. And I am an introvert.

There. I said it.

So what has dragged me out of the closet, you ask (or, more likely, you don't ask). I stumbled across a very well-written article by Jonathan Rauch in The Atlantic Online titled, "Caring for Your Introvert". Rauch declares himself an introvert, and, while humourously discussing the research done regarding introverts vs. extroverts, he has some sound advice for introverts' loved ones:

" 'How can I let the introvert in my life know that I support him and respect his choice?' First, recognize that it's not a choice. It's not a lifestyle. It's an orientation.

Second, when you see an introvert lost in thought, don't say "What's the matter?" or "Are you all right?"

Third, don't say anything else, either. "

So there you have it. If you have an introvert on your hands, that's how you deal with him.

(I am a faithful subscriber to The Atlantic, an always well-written magazine. I have full access to their online archives, etc... and while I can't link to this article, I CAN email to people. So if you want to read the full article, let me know and I will email it to you ASAP!).

3 comments:

Team Sharma said...

We love you just the way you are... and we already knew. If you send me the article I will be glad to read it.

Internet Street Philosopher said...

You had me wondering for a second what you were about to confess. But so am I. Can you send me the article also? Please?

Doc Shazam said...

Second, when you see an introvert lost in thought, don't say "What's the matter?" or "Are you all right?"


This happened to me in the cafeteria tonight while waiting for my chicken fajita especiale...the lady said to he, "you'll hurt yourself thinking so hard" as I was staring absently at the ground. I said, "huh?" and used the excuse that I was tired.