Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Getting back on track...

Whew! It's been one month since my shin surgery, and I have been 'taking it easy' during the recovery, to keep my blood pressure down. This has to be longest I've gone without riding, and definitely the longest without doing any kind of workout.

I worked in Tokyo yesterday, and then spent the night in my favorite 'business hotel' there so I could meet my surgeon early today. He seemed as tickled with the results as I am, and proclaimed that I am ready to resume any and all exercise, including biking and weight training. He explained that I had a rare type of varicosity, caused by multiple 'holes' in my lower leg, which is the cause of 20% of these cases. The other 80% are caused by backflow in the one Greater Saphenous Vein, which can be easily ligated at the groin; a much simpler procedure than what he performed on me.

To celebrate the coming of spring as well as my last non-active weekend, I tried again with some High Dynamic Range photography. This time, I used my Lumix fully-automatic LZ2. I was able to take an automatic-mode picture, then reduce and increase the EV by +2 AND -2 for the second and third exposures. This isn't as good as using a camera with manual controls, but I wanted to see if it was even possible. It is, but a limiting facor was bright white things, and since I chose snowy Mt. Fuji and three local waterfalls, I got poor results.

This shot of my friend Chris's bike against my truck, in front of our Landlady's house fared better, though:















To make this, I needed only my digicam, a tripod (ours cost about $9), and Adobe Photoshop 9.0, which is part of the Creative Suites 2 (CS2) package of software. I have read that another free program, Photomatix, gets similar results, but I haven't tried that yet.
More soon!

2 comments:

-lyn said...

So glad to hear that your recovery has been smooth and, most importantly, successful!!!!
No wonder he had to slice so many places on your shin ... !
And, kudos to you for understanding the language so well.
Mom

bernicky said...

Good to hear you will be back on track soon. Remember there is nothing fast about recover or building a base - take it easy on the way back :) Hang back with Tracy for a while.