Sunday, April 16, 2006

Kyoto Solo

Though Brian was working, I had decided to take Friday off, with no plan in particular. When the weather report indicated that Kyoto would be sunny on Friday, however, I decided to take the (relatively) inexpensive overnight bus to Kyoto on Thursday night (arriving Friday morning at 6 a.m.). After many phone calls, I finally got a reservation for one at a small, simple and affordable minshuku near Kyoto station for Friday night.

I spent two days walking and riding the buses and subways around Kyoto, one of the most historic cities in Japan. Though I was expecting sunny weather, it was very cloudy all day on Friday, and rainy all day on Saturday. That didn't dampen my days of sightseeing, however, and I got a few pictures to boot:

My first stop on Friday morning was Kinkaku-ji:



I took a walk around Gion (the famous Geisha quarter) on Saturday afternoon and evening, and caught just a glimpse of this Geisha (or maybe Maiko):



A little later, still in Gion, I took this photo of some of the establishments around the area:

3 comments:

-lyn said...

What a great time you must've had. Those solo adventures can certainly add a bit of spice to life, can't they.

The photos are awesome.

Lyn

bernicky said...

It sounds like a great way to have spent a few days. I love the pictures. You always take the best!

Anonymous said...

hi Love the pictures you did a beautiful job
MOM