Thursday, August 09, 2007

Our Very Days

I've been to busy to be prolific, and too tired to be pithy. There for, let me simply be prosaic.

We've been working late most evenings, meeting the challenges of having one of our managers out of the office. Getting home, with the heat and our fatigue, we've taken to buying pre-prepared food at the supermarket. Tonight's dinner was a simple salad that I put together in about 5 minutes, topped with tender, juicy pre-cooked and marinated chicken that I bought at a local supermarket for only slightly more than I would have paid for the raw deal. Other dinners have been pre-prepared unagi (eel) and maki-zushi (sushi rolls).

When I first arrived in Japan (a whopping 9 years ago!), I lamented the lack of instant food (since I wasn't much of a cook). I then, of course, began to cook and even took real zen-like pleasure in it. More experience in Japan, of course, taught me that though there wasn't much "instant" food like TV dinners, there were plenty of "home-made" bento (lunch boxes) and side-dishes such as my pre-cooked and seasoned chicken.

And so , recently we've taking advantage of the convenience: eating fairly light, saving time and not heating up the kitchen!

1 comment:

bernicky said...

The beauty of our lives is in the small things which comprise the day. A life lived well is itself a work of art just as a bento box can be a small slice of perfection.

Have a look at http://flickr.com/photos/mimiito/tags/bentoblog/