Sunday, August 26, 2007

Today's Word: Bacn

No, I didn't have bacn for breakfast this morning - but I still have plenty of it in my inbox. That's right - bacn is the new buzzword created just over a week ago at a web conference in Phillidelphia, and has been popping up all over the net ever since. So what is bacn? I'll give you a hint - it's not exactly spam. Bacn is that kind of email that you sort of requested (like newsletters), and that you may want to read later (like the Amazon updates). It's not spam. But it's not personal email either. So, now we can just call that kind of email bacn.

How much bacn do you get? I get tons - Amazon updates, Facebook notifications, Software update notifications, and newsletters (from various sources). Like many others, I currently use Gmail which has great capabilities when it comes to organizing your mail - so I've just created a new tag in my Gmail called "Bacn", and over time I will train Gmail to recognize my bacn and archive that mail for later reading!

For more info on this new term, check out this article from the Chicago Tribune.

2 comments:

bernicky said...

hehehehe
I get some of these. Using Icedove (a version of Thunderbird) I can train the software to sort stuff. Personally I can't stand Gmail - much prefer Yahoo mail and my own in box.

-lyn said...

Love the term Bacn. I have embraced it and will use it immediately. Thanks for helping me keep up to date with all this new-fangled jargon...