Thursday, October 18, 2007

Honto no Izakaya

I'm away on business all this week. Being alone is great for catching up on some reading, but makes for some solitary eating experiences.

The hotel I'm staying in - the Kuretake Inn, which is part of a chain - is a nice, simple business hotel straight across from little Washizu station, and they provided a "meal map" of the area to let customers know where to find, well, meals. I followed that map last night to a local izakaya, which labeled itself on the map as a "honto no izakaya" (real izakaya). I figured I may as well enjoy some of the local flavours - but got a little more (and less) than I bargained for.

I had a kara-age and beer. The beer was good - cold and refreshing. The kara-age however was kind of...not so good. Too greasy, too fatty...and, of course, I had to eat it while a particularly persistent cockroach kept nibbling at my shibori (hot hand towel). By the time the third cockroach arrived on the table, I figured I'd better make my escape!

I took this pic with my cell phone - one roach who just wouldn't get away from my shibori...


I like local places, but sometimes, you just gotta know when to say "when"!

2 comments:

-lyn said...

Well, in Japan even the roaches like a nice hot towel before they eat!

bernicky said...

Hehehe, you know the reality is that in most places in the world you are never more than a meter from an insect of some kind. Though I must admit that this isn't exactly what I would like to find at any establishment.