Friday, July 18, 2008

The Book I Couldn't Finish

Book people I know (and, uh...the Internet) are abuzz about a book about a girl who spends a self-centred but non-introspective year abroad performing a "self-enquiry". Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert has been on the New York Times Best Seller list for a year and a half already, and has received rave reviews. I, however, have not been able to get past page 30.

The author comes across as a naive, spoiled, superficial whiny little brat. I cannot criticize further because, as I said, I did not get past page 30. In my youth, I would have felt guilty about not finishing a book. In my aged wisdom, I realize that I'd rather not throw in good time with the bad, on top of the cash already laid out for the tripe that passes for "good reading". As I said, though - most people seem to love this book. It's just really not for me. And so I've given the book away, to someone who can perhaps appreciate it.

2 comments:

bernicky said...

Not all books talk to all people. I am with you, if you can't finish it don't force it. I just leave them on the bus or at a bus stop bench or a table in the food court. Someone will read them or they will end up where they belong.

-lyn said...

I remember the first book I didn't finish, and it took an amazingly long time to "give myself permission" to put it down. I still find myself finishing some that I could do without, but mostly now (in my really, really aged wisdom)I can put the occasional one down without guilt.