Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Harmless Suzumebachi

The suzumebachi is Japanese for the Asian giant hornet, and we see a fair number of them around here at this time of year.

The name in Japanese translates as "Sparrow Bee", because of the size of these things. Now, I'm not a real fraidy cat or anything, but these are some bees that I'd rather not have an encounter with. At least, not a live encounter!

While strolling on our own private, pristine beach (see last post), we came across one unfortunate suzumebachi who had expired. Check out the size of his stinger (click on the photo for a larger image):




For more information about this particularly dangerous hornet, check out the Wikipedia article here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet.

3 comments:

owenandbenjamin said...

I don't like bees or hornets or wasps. So I especially do not like that one. I wouldn't even want to get that close to a dead one.

bernicky said...

Now that is a big boy. I would not like to have to deal with one of those under any conditions.

-lyn said...

Wow. Impressive beast!