Thursday, July 31, 2008

Early Morning Ride

While we are both early risers by nature, for the last few weeks we’ve been going to bed early(ish) but sleeping in later than usual. I’d wake up at 5, think that I ought to get up, and then promptly fall back to sleep for another hour or so. Even when I did get up, I found that I was so tired all I could think about was going back to bed. This was very unusual, but I figured it was just a sign that I was, well, tired. However, I now realize that it was un-naturally induced fatigue and I think I’ve found the culprit.

We have an air conditioning unit that we only use a few days each year. Though the days are hot and the nights are somewhat stifling, we had embraced the heat. We were sleeping in a front-facing room with the windows open, and that had seemed great. Until, one night, we slept in the back room with the air conditioning on. I woke up early the next morning, feeling energetic and ready for a bike ride. Ditto for day two. And day three.

Not only is the air comfortably cool, but because the windows are closed, it’s also much more quiet. Though we may not have realized it at the time, I think our sleep was being regularly disturbed before.

Whatever the case, this morning I was up at 4:30, and biking into the hills by 5:30. The ground was wet and there was a light mist in the air. The only person I saw was a jogger who I frequently see on my morning rides. We pleasantly exchanged an "ohayougozaimasu" and pursued our separate paths. Life is good.

3 comments:

owenandbenjamin said...

Was this a mountain bike ride? Are you out on dirt trails?

Here in So Cal there are fire roads and trails all over and most of the mountain areas are public lands like forest service areas. I have wondered about mountain biking in Japan. Are there a lot of public lands in the mountains and are there a lot of dirt trails and dirt roads. Or is it fairly limited compared to the States?

bernicky said...

Anything that can get you out the door and onto the trails in the morning is a good thing. Just stay away from those giant hornets.

Tracy said...

Hi Tornadoes28

Sorry for the long delay!

Here too there are lots of fireroads, a few trails, not much singletrack. I know where to find it, but it's a "drive and cycle". I can't compare it to the States as I have only biked in Hawaii, and hated it since all the land seems to be owned (by particularly snotty and aggressive people).

I used to roadbike in Canada, which was awesome.

But here, I love the MTB because very little is private land, and when it is, still, it's fine to ride through. The most you'll get is a friendly hello or directions.

I basically look at maps then head off. Some areas offer better riding than others, but I've never been afraid of a person while riding and have frequently come across wild monkeys and deer.