Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Custom 29er Singlespeed from Clockwork Bikes

I haven't posted any updates on my frame in at least a month. However, no news was good news. Joel Greenblatt (Clockwork Bikes) finished building, painting and finishing my frame. I was anxiously awaiting delivery when my nephew came for his visit, so when the frame arrived I decided to put it on hold for a while. But today was finally my day to spend time building it up. With (a lot of) help from Brian, I took the parts of my Gary Fisher Rig and used them on my new frame.

History of my bike:

In the beginning - my new frame takes shape in Joel's workshop:



The frame, finished:



Cannibalizing the Rig - here I'm just taking off the pedals. I bought a new set of Deore cranks for my frame:



Building my bike - here we're putting in the headset:



And finally - my very own Clockwork Orange. As I've mentioned, I'm especially short for 29er riding (156 cm), so notice the cute swoop of the top tube:





What a great feeling to start with the bare bones and end with a (beautifully) finished, fine-tuned machine. I sat on the bike (of course!) and it feels great so far; however, the weather today has been unfit to ride in, and since I'll probably have to tweak a few things on the road I decided to postpone the Virgin Ride till a later date. Tomorrow morning hopefully.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love new bike time like no other. Looks great, now get out and ride it. Looking forward to the initial ride report.

Anonymous said...

wow it looks like it was worth the wait I agree go ride and enjoy

have fun mom

owenandbenjamin said...

That's a nice looking ride.

bernicky said...

Mmmm, looks good.

Tracy said...

Sean, Mom, and tornadoes28 -

Thanks for your comments! This is my first custom frame, and I'm loving it so far. I'm on the hunt for a new saddle, and later, a new stem (Thomson, hopefully).